Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November 12th

It was 4 years ago today that I found out I had breast cancer. The actual event seems like so long ago but parts I remember like yesterday. I was in Victoria at a conference for work, waiting all day for a call with results. Finally, in the evening the doctor and I connected. I was in the hotel room surrounded by my co-workers listening on the phone to news my optimistic mind had not really prepared for, but could I have? Next, all I remember is that Pam and Lynette took over and somehow got me on a flight home to Seattle where Joe was waiting for me. I remember being so numb in the taxi ride to the airport with Pam and Net on either side of me talking, rubbing my back, with tears just silently pouring out. It was like I couldn't hear them but i knew they were talking. I just kept thinking about Abby and how much she needed me.
Now, 4 years later here I am loving, laughing, and so happy to just be. I thank my lucky stars for all of you that got me through and still do.

4 comments:

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

Oh, Wendy, I am tearing up here. I can't believe it's been 4 years! I remember the phone call from you, I had just had Jakob and could hardly contain my emotion - actually the call was from Carla because you guys knew that I would be a wreck and I know you didn't want to have to tell the whole thing over again. I wished that I could have been right there with you. I so wanted to be there to just give you a squeeze and tell you that I knew in my heart of hearts - or my 6th sense - that everything would be ok. I will never forget seeing you without hair and actually being envious of your great head - random! I remember seeing you after your surgery, you looked so strong, I couldn't believe it.
You are the strongest woman, mother, friend I know. You have an amazing family, one that everyone would want to have to support anyone thru the most difficult times.
I am so lucky to have you as my friend! And I am so sorry you had to go thru all of this, you are an inspiration to all of us women! When I think of you know I always think of how lucky we all are to be here in this life!
Love you always!

Carla said...

I love you soooo much! You are my inspiration!

I so remember the call that day and then having to call Jess. Love you too Jess!

Seattlemom said...

I remember all too well. I know exactly where I was when you called and told me we couldn't get together that weekend...because you had cancer. Ok. That was a good excuse I've got to tell you. You could have just made up something like you needed to wash the dog or something. Really. That was stretching it.

I love you girlie. You are so amazing and so strong and so full of love. I always look forward to our short and too-far-between-them visits so much because you are so full of light and life.
xxj.

kristy said...

hey honey, I didn't know you then but so glad your here and to see how strong you are and the woman you've become since. Love ya xoxo