Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ah Yeah!

Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise [1], excitement, listening to some music and orgasm[2]; and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. Endorphins work as "natural pain killers", whose effects may be enhanced by other medications.

Why the above? Because I'm feeling it. Today I ran the farthest I've ever run on my own accord, my own will, without my high school soccer coach yelling at me to get my a.. in gear. The ipod said 4 miles, amazing. A year ago I would have laughed if you would have told me I would run 4 miles because I wanted to. I do not have a runners body or good running form or talent for that matter. This is pure gut and determination on my part and for that I say..... Ah Yeah. (Plus I can see how you can get addicted to those endorphins, especially in light of my astrological sign- right Mark?) Ha-Ha.

5 comments:

Carla said...

Ah Yeah! Good for you Wendy. I've always wanted to be a runner. It seems so freeing. I just have a bit of an anatomical issue that doesn't make it very fun ;)

Wendy said...

I know, that is a problem, just doesn't really work out. But there is hot yoga..... :) Have a great Monday sweetie.

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

You're crazy girl! I loathe running, but there have been a few times on a treadmill that I ran 5 miles and totally got the endorphin rush - that was before our wedding - then it all went downhill from there!! HEHE
You rock - keep it up!!

Sara and David said...

Awesome work girl! My sister has also made running a goal this past year and just got up to the 4 mile mark. She has told me about how great a rush it is, but I haven't quite bought into it yet!

Mark Watson said...

Good for you Wendy. My running has been replaced by soccer lately, which, due to blisters and black toes, has put an end to much running. But you're right, Scorpios Rule! You might like "Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes- it's very inspirational.